Thursday, March 15, 2012

words

{Old Hollywood}


Writing cover letters makes me batty. I can't think of less creative text to work on (well, I can actually, I did study public administration). Anyway, it is safe to say that most cover letters are pretty boring. Or so I thought. Check out this one I came across on a cool website called Letters of Note:


Dear Sir:


I like words. I like fat buttery words, such as ooze, turpitude, glutinous, toady. I like solemn, angular, creaky words, such as straitlaced, cantankerous, pecunious, valedictory. I like spurious, black-is-white words, such as mortician, liquidate, tonsorial, demi-monde. I like suave "V" words, such as Svengali, svelte, bravura, verve. I like crunchy, brittle, crackly words, such as splinter, grapple, jostle, crusty. I like sullen, crabbed, scowling words, such as skulk, glower, scabby, churl. I like Oh-Heavens, my-gracious, land's-sake words, such as tricksy, tucker, genteel, horrid. I like elegant, flowery words, such as estivate, peregrinate, elysium, halcyon. I like wormy, squirmy, mealy words, such as crawl, blubber, squeal, drip. I like sniggly, chuckling words, such as cowlick, gurgle, bubble and burp.


I like the word screenwriter better than copywriter, so I decided to quit my job in a New York advertising agency and try my luck in Hollywood, but before taking the plunge I went to Europe for a year of study, contemplation and horsing around.


I have just returned and I still like words.


May I have a few with you?


Robert Pirosh
385 Madison Avenue
Room 610
New York
Eldorado 5-6024

Who wouldn't give this guy a few minutes of their time?

Also, can we bring back letter writing (of the non-cover variety)?

xo

Em

(as I mentioned, I found the letter on Letters of Notethis was their source, the image above was found here)



No comments:

Post a Comment