Saturday, March 3, 2012

pain au chocolat


{just in case a croissant wasn't good enough - add chocolate!}
I've said this before and I will undoubtedly say it again, I love going to the farmer's market on Saturday morning. On a scale of 1 to the Gilmore Girls, I would give Saturday mornings a nine. The only thing that could improve them is if they got off to a bit of a later start, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. At least not while Violet goes to bed knowing she can have chocolate for breakfast.

Yes, chocolate for breakfast.

I know, you are judging me aren't you. A little?

I don't let Violet eat ordinary chocolate for breakfast. That would be silly. No, her breakfast is one of foodie-baby-champions: the pain au chocolat.

When we get to the market Jeff is on coffee duty and I take Violet to get my pumpkin muffin (from the Schoolhouse bakery) and her chocolatine (from boulangerie la vendeenne bien sur). We do this week in, week out. You know how I love a good routine. This sort of thing soothes me.

Here is Violet's face when I told her she couldn't just remove the chocolate strips from her pain au chocolat and eat them. Mean mum that I am, I actually asked that she eat the buttery, flaky, freshly baked pastry too.

{I'm not afraid to have a melt down, just try me...}

Here is her face when I told her I was serious:

{you have got to be kidding me}
Needless to say, the chocolate was eaten apart from the pastry. I can't be firm at the market, surrounded by grandparents and before I have coffee.

Rules are for weekday morning breakfasts anyway.

xo

Em

No comments:

Post a Comment