Sunday, April 15, 2012

deprivation

{not impressed}
At Sunday school this morning, conversation somehow ended up on pets. Violet is in a class with three- and four-year-olds so I imagine their discussions run the gamut of topics. A few students wanted to share with the class something about their pet. I can picture the children raising their hands, bursting with excitement at the thought of being able to talk about their beloved animal. When I picked Violet up after church I was surprised to hear from her teacher that she had contributed to the conversation.

We have no pets.

Apparently Violet raised her hand and when called upon she stood up, put her hands on her hips in what is quickly becoming her signature move, and said with utter despair, "I have nothing", and then sat back down.

This is the same child who told me just before bed that she couldn't sleep because her brain hurt, which was making her hungry. When I offered her yogurt, she wept into her pillow, "yogurt makes  brains hurt even more", as if that was a universally known fact and I was too insensitive to care about her well-being.

What an imp. Funny by times, but exhausting, totally exhausting!

xo

Em


No comments:

Post a Comment