Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy

{lemon debutante cake}
I had a great chat with my oldest friend tonight and, like usual, our conversation drifted toward food. Her partner is a chef and we all used to work together (with my other besties) in Calgary. Such fun times. Anyway, the conversation got me thinking about food and how I wish I had a restaurant (only the fun parts of course) and how I totally miss working in restaurants (again, only the fun parts...and the fast cash!).

One of my favourite things about this blog is getting to share the food I love to make with you all, but it seems I haven't done a lot of that lately. It isn't that I haven't been cooking and baking and it certainly isn't that we haven't been eating (I have a hungry husband and daughter to keep happy), but it is safe to say we are in a bit of a food rut. Given the fact I make almost all our meals I think it is safe to say I am in a food rut.

As I have mentioned a million and one times we head to the market on Saturday. We visit the same vendors -- we love their products, but we love them even more. I would almost feel like I was cheating if I bought sausage anywhere but Sweet William. Our love of certain vendors and my propensity to fall into (and in love with) routines has lead to us eating the same 7-10 dishes on repeat. They are all really yummy (if I do say so myself), but even pizza gets old. While, that actually isn't true. I could eat pizza everyday! Everything else gets old!

The last interesting thing I prepared was the Lemon Debutante Cake pictured above. I volunteered to bake for a friend's wedding so we are currently trying things out. I love a challenge and an excuse to try new things. I probably wouldn't be doing it without the motivation of her impending nuptials.

I have heaps of cookbooks, and access to a loads of great food blogs -- there is no excuse for my behaviour. Even our preferred vendors have lots of products we never try, I just have to snap out of it, get off auto-pilot (very difficult on Saturday morning) and be more creative.

Thanks Ajie for the reminder that even though I have limited time, skills and resources, I am still a foodie at heart.

xo

Em

ps -- ever been in a food rut? any suggestions on how to get out of it?

2 comments:

  1. LOVE THIS!

    Best day ever because I got to chat with you :)

    I missed your voice, your laugh and your overall amazingness! Cannot wait for more chats and a million hugs!

    Love love love you,
    Aj

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Em-
    you may be in a rut, but the lemon debutante cake was out of this world!!!

    ReplyDelete