Saturday, May 26, 2012

green thumb

{Mary, Mary quite contrary}


I think I've mentioned that contrary to this post's title I do not have a green thumb. I love other people's gardens, and I'd like to have a nice outdoor space I just don't have the skill or knowledge, nor the inclination to spend the time to make that happen. But, I am taking baby steps. I've kept herbs alive for a few months now, and I have a few house plants that have made it through the whole winter (okay, they are succulents and orchids -- not the hardest things to keep alive, but still progress).

This morning at the market I was inspired by all of the beautiful flowers for sale. We decided to spruce up our front steps with a couple of planters. I thought that potted plants would be a good place to start, before I consider what to do with our actual garden. The pots look a little sparse, but I love the light green, pink and white colour combination and I think they will fill out over the summer. Am I right?

It was fun digging in the dirt for a while. It is surprising how much of a difference a little colour can make to an entryway. It was an overcast day here in Halifax, but it ended beautifully with suppertime sunshine -- just what my little plants need!

Our backyard is an issue for another day. I don't know how to approach it. It is very shaded, rocky and is about 60% grass/ 40% dirt. We don't own our place, but I'd love to make the yard more useable while we are here. Any suggestions?

Have a great Saturday!

xo

Em
{my first outdoor potted plant}

{supplies}
{a girl after my own heart -- telling a joke...}
{...and then laughing harder than anyone else!}



No comments:

Post a Comment