Thursday, June 14, 2012

interruptions

{the feeling is mutual kid}
You know those days (weeks, months, years) where you cannot for the life of you find a moment to yourself? The sort of days when not even bathroom breaks are sacred? Days when supper is eaten with another body on top of yours and every inch of your skin feels sticky from someone else's sweat (not in a good way, get your mind out of the gutter people) -- those days can be hard (and I only have one child, one job, and one husband). Sometimes when I am feeling overwhelmed I want to physically shake everything off me the way I would if there was a spider in my shirt. But shaking won't help, it will just make you even more tired.

Kind of melodramatic, huh?

I saw this today (here):


INTERRUPTIONS


When you are exasperated by interruptions, try to remember that their very
frequency may indicate the value of your life. Only people who are full
of help and strength are burdened by other persons' needs. The
interruptions which we chafe at are the credentials of our
indispensability. The greatest condemnation that anybody could incur -
and it is a danger to guard against - is to be so independent, so
unhelpful, that nobody ever interrupts us, and we are left comfortably alone.

-Anonymous
from The Anglican Digest


I think every parent, every child, every sibling, every best-friend and every roommate can relate to this.

I like what this quote says: We are needed because we are strong. We are needed because we are valuable.

It sure puts waking up at 2:00 am to change wet sheets into perspective. I don't think I'll ever be truly happy to be woken from my precious slumber, but I am going to try to remember there are worse things to be smothered by than love.

xo

Em




No comments:

Post a Comment