Monday, March 25, 2013

Spring in a pan

{Vermeer light mis-en-place}
Yes, I did just compare my underexposed photo to one of the greatest Dutch painters of all time.

And what?

Can you even respect yourself if you read on...

So, I think it is safe to say that this spring sucks so far. This past Saturday it was grey and freezing, the usual, and I decided that I had had enough. I was supposed to take more pictures of food for my photo class and I tried to think of something fit for spring as an antidote to both the weather and my mood. I wanted to make something using rhubarb, but let's be honest, rhubarb is not a spring fruit in Canada. Nothing east of the Rockies comes out of the ground for at least a couple of months. Scratch the rhubarb idea. Instead I decided to make lemon loaf. I know nothing about when lemons grow, but they taste light and fresh and they are the prettiest colour of yellow. Sounds like spring to me!

I used Ina's lemon loaf recipe. It is easy, reliable and (wonders never cease) it doesn't call for butter, rather a combination of full fat yogurt and oil (which is basically health food for the Contessa). I love baking in my super narrow loaf pan because it ensures the middle of all my loaves cook evenly. Anyone who has ever under-baked banana bread knows what I am talking about. This long, narrow pan makes cooking loaves a pleasure (and it is pretty to boot).

The lemon loaf lifted our spirits this weekend and I was able to take a few (read four million) pictures of the process, some of which I actually like. Lemon loaf doesn't have the pizazz a chocolate cake does, but it is pretty in its own pared down, simplistic way.

We must do what we can to get by this time of year, no?

xo

Em















No comments:

Post a Comment