Saturday, February 11, 2012

these things happen

What a day.

It started like almost any other Saturday; we were up early and went off to the market to meet my parents for breakfast. Coffee, pastries and a special visit from Jeff's sister made for a great start to the day. I noticed that Violet wasn't quite herself but I didn't think much of it. We got our groceries and headed to skating without incident. Violet was totally enamoured by her aunt. So far, so good.

Jeff's sister generously offered to take us out for a bite to eat. We debated between two of our brunch favourites: Jane's and The Coastal. We decided on Jane's because we thought we were more likely to get a table. After a bit of a wait we were finally seated, how relaxing I thought. I am totally enjoying this stage with Violet. She can sit and enjoy a whole meal with us (that is, if the mood strikes her). She was in fine form, maybe a little quieter than usual, but I obviously attributed that to my new parenting savvy. What a well behaved child we have.

I should warn you, if you have a weak stomach you might not want to read on. Things took a turn for the worse and quickly. I will spare you most of the detail but even the highlights are a little off putting.

A little background info: Violet stayed home from school yesterday because her stomach was not quite 100%. She wasn't puking. I'll leave it at that.

After my first cup of coffee Violet asked to go to the bathroom. She had just slammed a blueberry smoothie so I wasn't at all surprised.

Have you seen the movie Bridesmaids? If you have I am sure you remember the scene in the wedding dress shop. Well, Violet and I experienced our own version of that this morning at Jane's. Lovely. I couldn't wait to get back to my fishcakes and baked beans...

After I washed my hands in scalding water we went back to our table. I reminded Violet not to mention any bathroom details to her aunt. She kindly obliged. By the time we got our food my stomach actually felt a little better. I had already blocked what had just happened with Violet out of my mind and I was quite looking forward to my meal. Violet is being so good I mused, especially since her stomach is obviously not feeling right.

I had taken about four bites of my breakfast when I saw Violet stand up in her chair. I was about to remind her to sit on her buns when I saw her turn her head. What in the world is she doing, I thought to myself.

What happened next is a bit of a blur. It seemed to happen in slow motion but when I look back it must have only been seconds. Sweet Violet puked off the back of her chair on to the floor below her. Smack dab in the middle of the restaurant.

She looked at me, "I puked mama."

"Yes, yes you did sweet girl."

Jeff's sister sprang into action. She sweetly cleaned up the mess while I got Violet ready to leave. In her typical fashion Violet was not at all phased by the scene she had caused. She said to our server on the way out, "don't worry, I'll be back soon".

I bet they can't wait.

As we were walking to our car, in the rain, I admit I felt pretty sorry for myself. So much for brunch I thought. So much for our dinner plans too. As I put Violet into her car seat she looked at me and said, "Don't worry mummy, these things happen."

"You're right Violet, these things do happen."

Perspective from a two year old. I love it.

xo

ps - I fully intended to blog about the meal I made for our friends who were supposed to come over tonight. That obviously didn't happen. I'll leave you with a photo of the chilli I made for the event, even though I kind of feel weird about it given the content of this post!

{I can't believe I was able to eat this tonight: turkey chilli}

No comments:

Post a Comment