Friday, February 17, 2012

Dee Dee's

{Dee Dee's Classic Burrito with the works}

When I first heard about the concept behind Dee Dee's I thought it was a terrible idea: burritos and ice cream? Seriously? The fact that the burrito and ice cream shop opened in the winter only made matters worse. Who wants ice cream during a Canadian winter?


I give that place less than a year, I thought to myself.


That was before I had a Dee Dee's burrito. It was before I had their ice cream for that matter.


I will now publicly (I used the term loosely since I am pretty sure my parents and a few close friends are the only ones who will read this) admit that I was wrong. I don't say that very often. Ask Jeff.


Dee Dee's is in an old house at the end of my parents' street. I say house but I think that there was probably always a shop on the main floor. The exterior of the building is really cute. I admit it has probably seen better days (probably long long ago) but there is something about the space I really like. I had often thought it would be a good location for a neighbourhood cafe. A neighbourhood cafe owned by me would be best. Obviously.


I admit it, I was a little bitter when I heard the space had been leased. I didn't want someone else to swoop in and run a perfect little neighbour cafe. So when I heard about the burrito/ ice cream shop I felt pretty smug.


The joke is on me.


Dee Dee's ice cream is unbelievably good. I don't like chocolate ice cream (weird, I know) but I could eat a bucket of it from Dee Dees. Maybe it is the organic ingredients, maybe it is the heavy cream, either way they have a winning formula. Visits to Dee Dee's for ice cream are a family favourite, especially in the warmer months.


Burritos on the other hand are great winter fare. They are hearty enough to fill you up and spicy enough to warm you up. You can't beat that, can you?


Turns out Dee Dee's seemingly bizarre combination of specialities keeps our family coming back all year long. Sneaky little devils.


If I can't have my cafe on Bauer St., Dee Dee's is the next best thing.


xo

{You'll want to eat your burrito like this too}



No comments:

Post a Comment