Monday, February 20, 2012

Dear Winter

Dear Winter,

I am officially breaking up with you.  I’ve given this a lot of thought and there is no way I will change my mind. Please don’t send pretty snowflakes. That may have worked on the last girl, but it won’t work on me.

The thing is you pretend to be something that you are not. When I agreed to give you another chance late last fall I envisioned a season of sledding and snow days not drizzle and slushy puddles. I recommitted myself to you for Violet’s sake because I think every little kid should know what a happy winter feels like. I’m talking about a winter complete with skating on frozen ponds and a winter where it makes sense to wear snow pants, not a wet suit. 

I will concede that you haven’t been as cold as some other years but that isn’t enough to make me love you. And fine I'll admit it is sunny today. At least it was this afternoon. But, I’m not falling for these games. This isn’t my first rodeo. I know what happens next: two more months of bad weather. Not happening. I’m over it.

I thought it would be different this time. I tried to make it work. I embraced my winter hat (and the accompanying hat hair), I bought new running mittens , I even gave Violet two sleds for Christmas so I could slide down the hills you coated with fresh white snow. 

Maybe you are thinking I watch too many Christmas movies and that my idea of winter has been distorted by Hollywood. Maybe it has, but is that such a bad thing? I deserve a Hollywood winter. Who says I can’t dream of A White Christmas.

 Maybe I should just move to New Brunswick or Maine. 

All I ask of you is a clean break. This will be so much harder on me if you stick around until the beginning of June. Just leave. Take your sub-zero temperatures, your dry skin, your vitamin D deprivation and scram. 

I never really loved you anyway.


Emily 

{happier winter days}



No comments:

Post a Comment