Saturday, August 24, 2013

Mackerel Fishing


The day before we left PEI my grandfather arranged for his friend to take my parents, Jeff, Violet and I jigging for mackerel. There have been many members of the Harris family to make their living fishing off the east coast of PEI, but I  can now say my family is much better off as a result of the fact I will never be one of them. Don’t get me wrong, I loved being out in the water on a sunny, summer morning, but I recoiled at the sight of the dying mackerel flip flopping across the deck of the boat and I had a full blown freak-out when a gull grabbed a fish I was reeling in! After I calmed myself down, and soothed my upset child who is unaccustomed to hearing me shriek, we had a lovely morning sailing in and around Murray Harbour. We caught heaps of fish, sometimes three at a time and even sampled the fruits of our labour while we were still out to sea – the freshest sushi around! Although I can't profess I am interested in taking up the family business, I had a lot of fun and I highly recommend raw mackerel. I've heard the cooked stuff isn't so good though...

Later today Jeff and I are heading to wedding in the valley. One of my sweetest friends is getting married, to another friend actually, and I can’t wait to see them tie the knot. I love weddings! I’m looking forward to toasting to their happiness and eating some homemade pie, not necessarily in that order!

Have a lovely weekend, friends.

xo

Em

{reluctant sailor} 
{bye bye dry land} 
{still not so sure} 
{the family business}
{nerves}
{two at a time!} 
{three at a time!}
{the cutest captain}


Worth Reading:

Freezer meals for busy fall weeknights

Speaking of pie, here are some basics on how to make a good one

Apparently people don't like selfies

Tina Fey is the funniest

I can't wait to see Woody's latest offering

This is funny. I'm extroverted and proud! (thanks Keira)














No comments:

Post a Comment