Sunday, July 7, 2013

hot hot heat

Is 2013 the summer of extremes or what? We spent last weekend in the driving rain on the South Shore with my parents. I'm talking unrelenting downpours from dawn 'til dusk.

{seriously? you want me to go back to the beach in this weather?}
This weekend? Hot as hell. I'm not being glib, it is seriously steamy, even at the beach, which is a rarity in this part of the world. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. I love me some beach weather. Today was, in the words of the great Mark Harris, "a classic beach day". Imagine our delight when we ran into some great friends when we arrived at Bayswater (a beach that didn't make the list, but should have). We spent the afternoon playing in the ice cold water (it gives your legs brain freeze if that makes any sense at all) and slathering our children in SPF 60 (although I should have spent more time slathering it on my own back -- ouch).

I typically find it hard to relax if we stay in the city. It always seems like there is so much to do. For some reason this weekend felt like a mini-holiday. I didn't get a knot in my stomach thinking about the housework/ lawn work that we should could be doing. Summers are too short. (I know in my head that life is too short, but I'm not there yet. Baby steps!).

Oh and let me tell you, we found the greatest new show to watch. I'll preface the big reveal by admitting that Jeffrey does not agree with me, in fact he absolutely hates it. No, not Nashville (another guilty pleasure. Thanks Rach.), you absolutely must watch Call the Midwife. It is amazing. I pretty much want to be a midwife now. Keep your eyes peeled for Miranda Hart (of Miranda fame). You're going to love this show, I know it. (Sorry husbands, boyfriends and anyone who hates BBC period dramas.)

My glass of rose and the tiny air conditioner in my bedroom are singing their siren song. Have a great night!

xo

Em

ps -- here are some pictures I snapped this weekend.

{not a fan of heat, or early mornings...yikes!}

{market imp}

{future yogi?}

{take photos while your child sinks beneath the water}

{good, clean fun}

2 comments:

  1. The caption on the photo of the two of you in the pool made me chuckle out loud. Looks like a perfect weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mother of the year or what? She could actually touch the bottom, I'm not as bad as I made out! Travel safe Ames! Can't wait to see your pictures! xo

    ReplyDelete