Wednesday, September 5, 2012

vocabulary

{inimitable}
I've mentioned this before, but I think it bears repeating (as in I want to say it again), I would like to be the type of person who can get away with using the word "terrific". Blame Woody Allen if you must, but I totally associate the word with New York literati. Don't you? I would love to be the type of person whose spoken language skills rival something written by Aaron Sorkin, but it just isn't me. I say the word "like" a lot. Not Clueless a lot, but more than Mr. Sorkin would approve of I am sure.

I've been thinking about words lately, about writing in general really. I am trying to read more and write less. More importantly, I am trying to really pay attention to writing while I am reading. Sounds easy, but when you get caught up in a story, which is the reason why I love reading, the mechanical details seem less important.

My efforts have not, however, been in vain. In the last few weeks I have come across three words that I really, really like. In addition to being the type of person who can pull off saying "terrific", I would like to use these particular words in conversation. Wanna hear 'em?

Thought so.

1. Inimitable

When I was feeling blue last week (see last post for details) my mum brought me custard and my dad brought me Roman Holiday starring the (in his words) "inimitable Audrey Hepburn". Have truer words be spoken? I like the way this word sounds -- so playful, almost like a one word tongue twister.

2. Imbecilic

I read this one. It was in reference to Todd Akin's infamous comment. Appropriate right? I feel like I could use this word all the time -- no offence family & friends. I may never say stupid again.

3. Doddering

Someone used this word to describe Clint Eastwood's performance at the Republican National Convention last week. I still love you Clint, but doddering is a hilarious word to describe the movement of the elderly specifically. I think it is the specificity I like. Young people can't dodder. Does this not strike anyone else as funny?

So this was a really edifying post that I bet you are stoked you read until the end. I just wanted to share these words with you. I've had in on my to do list for almost a week. Thank you for bearing with ;)

xo

Em

image via The New Yorker

No comments:

Post a Comment