Thursday, June 27, 2013

Beach Bum



{summer girl}
Summer is here and despite the forecast I'm already feeling happier, more relaxed and my skin is a slightly less haunting shade of white (hashtag SPF 60). We are taking our first few vacation days next week --let's call it an extra long long weekend. My parents are heading to the South Shore for a few weeks and we are crashing their party. Just what they want, right?! It's supposed to rain the whole time, but we won't let that stop us from having fun. I'm going to pack boardgames, art supplies and an ipad stocked with fresh apps (of the educational variety, bien sur), but unless it is really raining we'll be spending most of our time on the beach.

You may have heard that Nova Scotia was recently snubbed on a list of the nation's best beaches -- thanks for that Globe and Mail. I guess that's what happens when a bunch of land lubbers are put in charge. Two of the listed beaches are in Toronto, I mean come on people!

Apparently I am not alone in my outrage, CBC's Mainstreet has been polling Nova Scotians for their top picks for best beaches.

Do any of these beaches look familiar?

PROVINCIAL PARKS:

Clam Harbour Beach Provincial Park on the eastern shore
Martinique Beach Provincial Park on the eastern shore
Crystal Crescent Beach Provincial Park south of Halifax in Sambro
Queensland Beach Provincial Park west of Halifax in Hubbards
Mavillette Beach Provincial Park on the French shore near Yarmouth
Melmerby Beach Provincial Park on the Northumberland shore
Pomquet Beach Provincial Park on the Northumberland shore
Point Michaud Beach Provincial Park in Richmond County, Cape Breton
West Mabou Beach Provincial Park in Inverness County, Cape Breton

OTHERS:

Carters Beach in Queens County in Port Mouton on the south shore
Crescent Beach in Lockeport on the south shore
Hirtle's Beach in the District of Lunenburg on the south shore
MacLeod's Beach near Inverness, Cape Breton
Cabots Landing Provincial Park is a place to start exploring the beaches at Aspy Bay, on the northern tip of Cape Breton

(list and links via CBC.ca)

Better than dirty ol' lake beaches in Toronto, am I right?

I haven't been to the North Shore Beaches (Melmerby, Pomquet) or any of the Cape Breton Beaches (Point Michaud, West Mabou, MacLeod's, Cabot Landing), but otherwise I have this list on lock down. Other than Queensland, which I find altogether too crowded, I have to say I love all these beaches. If pressed, Hirtle's and Carter's are my favourite, but I also love Summerville Beach, Risser's Beach and Conrad's Beach, none of which made the cut. 

Do you have any favourite NS beaches?

I'm thinking about all the things I want to do this summer and hitting up a few of these new to me beaches ranks high on my list. Swimming in Lake Ontario? Not so much!

xo

Em

(Ontario family I love you and I would jump in any old lake you asked me too despite my firm believe they ain't got nothin' on the sea!)





No comments:

Post a Comment