Monday, January 30, 2012

Make that 284 million and one food bloggers

My mum is not a lemon cake sort of lady. She doesn't do very many things half-heartedly and dessert is no exception. For her, the quality of a dessert can be measured by how much chocolate was used in its preparation. Tomorrow is her birthday and I am making the cake.

Typically deciding which cake to bring would be a no brainer. This cake has been my go to for a couple of years. It will make you weep. I think it has something to do with the cup of hot coffee you add just before you pour it in the pan. To call that particular cake life changing would be an understatement.

Maybe you are thinking, "Just make the cake, Emily. Move on, I'm getting hungry".

I'd love to, but I can't! My poor mum has a pesky stomach issue and her doctor seems to believe that asceticism is the cure. No chocolate allowed.

So tonight I am making her a lemon cake. I think the lack of pleasure is going to her head because when I offered to make her cake she said, "I would love a lemon loaf Em". Are you kidding me? Loaf for a birthday cake? Not under my roof. I immediately got to work. I scoured my cookbook collection, which has grown exponentially post matrimony and, no big surprise here, Nigella Lawson came through for me. So tonight, as soon as Jeff returns with the ingredients, I will make a lemon cake for my mother who loves chocolate.

I will document my culinary adventures because you know what the world really needs? Another food blogger. I don't want to give away too many details because the birthday girl is probably the only one who will read this but stay posted, I have my camera locked and loaded.

xo








1 comment:

  1. Such a lovely picture of you and your mum! A lemon cake sounds delicious - I can't wait to see how it turns out (and what icing is involved)!

    ReplyDelete